Sunday, February 14, 2016

Love of the {EXTRAVAGANT} kind

This post isn't about romance.

It's not about Hallmark cards and chocolates and flowers. 

Shoot, it's not even about Valentine's day. 

But, it's about love.

Extravagant love. 


Contrary to fairy tales and romantic comedy, extravagant love is not about riding off into the sunset on a white horse with your royal princess or knight in shining armor. Extravagant love is quite the opposite, really. It is the kind of love that really COSTS you. It is the selfless love that makes sacrifices and does hard things in the wake of a world that screams otherwise. 

It is a love that you have to fight for. A love that forgives and endures and is patient and kind. 

Last night, G and I celebrated our Valentine's eve by attending a fancy benefit ball for an organization called Beautifully Inspired



Beautifully Inspired is an organization that provides support to the Tri-Cities area foster care community. G's sister Beth co-organized the benefit and I had the privilege of putting her family's adoption story into words to be displayed at the event and I think their story worth sharing, especially on a day like today, when so many of us are fighting for a deeper, less material and more "beautifully inspired" kind of love:

Our Adoption Story: McCance Family



I carry a heavy burden for the “plight of the orphan” that has pursued my heart into action and wrecked me.  

When we are faced with staggering statistics of story after story of hurt and hopelessness and despair it is easy to turn a blind eye and list the many reasons why we can’t really do anything to help or make a real difference.

I used to dream about all of the orphans I could save if I won the lottery. 

But then, beneath the weight of this burden God had placed on my heart, I discovered that the “lottery” has actually already been won. 

And it’s Jesus.

Jesus is the ultimate lottery and He will go the distance if we will take those first slow steps in His direction—even if that means walking into the unknown.

This “ultimate lottery” Jesus is not about “all or nothing.” 

He is about taking one step of faith towards opening your home, softening your heart, giving your time and sharing what He has so graciously has given to you. It is in those obedient steps toward that aching need, that call that God has placed in your heart, where HE provides much more than you could have ever imagined—finances, peace, patience, grace, wisdom, help, resources, purpose. 

* * *

We currently have 6 kids in our home that are forever ours. We have two “tummy babies” and four from the heart (adopted from foster care). When we first began foster care, we went from two kids to eight kids within the span of six short months (I had always felt that I would have a large family, just be careful for what you ask for because God certainly has a sense of humor!). At that time, we were both working and living pay check to pay check but when we got the call for our kids, I had NEVER felt more sure of anything in my life. I felt beckoned to quit my job and bring our kids HOME.  When those kids walked through my front door for the first time, I knew them. It’s as if they had always been in my heart and a part of what had once been empty was finally filled.  My babies were finally home and safe.

But this journey has not been easy. In fact, there have been times where the thought of turning away from this call that God has placed on my heart sounded so blissfully easy. I wanted to give my kids the world—I gave them my heart and they stomped on it without hesitation. My oldest daughter spent the first year proving that she wasn’t worth being loved. She didn’t care about being trusted, because she had never been able to trust an adult in her life. Then God showed up, the healing began, and I received a glimpse of how Jesus must feel. Through the pain and hardships and triumphs He has taught me about His patience and grace, His true forgiveness, His unconditional, unfailing love, and His perfect peace. He has taught me to seek joy through the pain and to see the true miracle that our children truly are—beautiful potential just waiting, begging, to thrive! THEY are the true heroes and I am humbled to say that we have been blessed beyond measure.

Our family has been thoughtfully woven together and when I reflect on 
God’s marvelous craftsmanship I am able to see how we fit more perfectly than I could have ever imagined. THIS is the family I dreamed of from before I had even laid eyes on them. Each one of us, intricately stitched together—beautifully imperfect and unfinished. A masterpiece of a journey that is just beginning.


. . .

I think a question that we can all reflect upon, especially today, on this day dedicated to giving gifts to those we love, is how we can not just talk or think or plan to love with this kind of extravagant love--but how to put that kind of love into action.  

I'm not beckoning every dear reader into a life of foster care--but rather into a life of identifying a need around you and not just acknowledging that need, but DOING something about it. Maybe it starts in your neighborhood or at your place of employment. Maybe your kids have friends that need some extra love and grace and hope. Perhaps your parents or grandparents? 

I truly believe that God has us right where we can make a lasting, real impact on another. We just need to see with His eyes and love with His love--which is often not the most comfortable or natural thing to do. But when we give away that kind of love--the extravagant kind of love--we are giving away something that is lasting. Something immeasurable and life giving and so much bigger than ourselves. Something that lasts. 



We don't always know how to help those who God puts in our path or on our hearts. 
We don't have the words to take their pain away 
or the resources to give them everything that they need.

But God has given us the greatest gift of all that we get to give away: 

His love. 

And it comes {extravagantly} wrapped 
in our presence, our time, our generosity & our grace.


Love,













No comments: