Wednesday, December 29, 2010

For Mama...


 
"Most of all the other beautiful things in life come by twos and threes by dozens and hundreds. Plenty of roses, stars, sunsets, rainbows, brothers, and sisters, aunts and cousins, but only one mother in the whole world."  

-- Kate Douglas Wiggin


Tonight I celebrated my beautiful Mother's birthday.

I remember how much my love and appreciation grew for her once I left for college and was forced to do things on my own like laundry, feed myself, grocery shop and scrub the showers and keep random things like razors and kleenex stocked....as I learned to do all of that, my heart swelled with gratitude for all that my Mom had done for me...

I really didn't think I could love her any more.

Until I held my own baby in my arms.


With each sleepless night, exhausting day, story I read, song I sing, silly face I make, tear (and bottom!) that I wipe I love her more....

For the amazing Mama that she was to me and my sisters and brother....and for the Mommy she, in doing so, taught me to be.

It's true, "you only get one mother in the whole wide world."

And I am so blessed to call her mine.


Happy Birthday, dear Mama!
 

1 comment:

Sweet Blessings said...

Oh, this post makes me teary-eyed...your Mama does LOVE you so much and she's sooooo very proud of the Mama you've become! Sweet blessings!