Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Step into my office...

(or "closet," as some call it)

hours of operation: monday-thrusday from 7:30am-4pm.

well, not always there at my desk but you know, around...
sometimes buried under piles.

my office isn't one of those offices you walk into and immediately notice how organized, neat and clean it is. nope, thats not me...
but i'm ok with that.

i am a notorious "piler."
i make lists and piles like there going out of style. it's just how my brain works.
the only time my office is free of stacks of papers on the floor, files on the desk and crumbs on the carpet is, well...hmmm. 
sticky notes (see below) are detrimental to my memory.

i color code them and order them by priority on the wall right in front of me. i'm not sure how i started doing this, it just kind of happened. my students make fun of me but really, it helps a TON on those days when i sit down and have so many emails and things to do i don't even know where to start.

and, i usually sit on a bosu ball (you know, work the core while "working," a good ol' 2-for-1) but last week i rolled over a tack (sigh) so hopefully this weekend i'll replace this awesome student chair with a big ol' bouncy ball :)

 here's the "student corner."


 i've had fun coordinating Red Ribbon Week this week.
i've enlisted the help of my Senior Seminar class and they have been quite wonderful production assistants (most of them).

Here are a few of their artwork samples:

Natural High: An activity, art form or sport that you LOVE to do and makes you feel good inside. A Naturaly High does NOT involve drugs or alcohol. EVERYONE has at least one Natural High. (pens and sticky notes available for students to post thier "natural high."

some posters were more "high school" appropriate.
(neeless to say that this one hangs in the high school wing).
  
My favorite!

recognize these guys?

yesterday we decorated the commons with Red Ribbon and wore P.J.'s to "put drugs to rest," today we plastered the halls/cafeteria with post-it notes with drug facts/statistics written on them and wore sunglasses since "our future is TOO BRIGHT for drugs," tomorrow we'll post the faces of meth pictures (scary!) and wear boots to "stomp out drugs," and Thursday students will have an opportunity to pledge and we'll wear crazy hats to "use our heads and stay drug-free!"

putting together weeks like this one is just one of the reasons i enjoy my job.

sure, there are definitely days--and weeks that i feel stressed, overwhelmed and/or underpaid underappreciated...

during those times i often find strength in re-reading the words of advice and inspiration that my mentor-counselor emailed me four years ago when i was new to this very rewarding, yet often draining profession:

i keep this tacked in the corner wall by my desk and it has served many times as a much needed reminder of the crucial importance of balance, strength and faith.

but these days, "bad days" seem to disappear about 5 minutes from me driving out of the parking lot,
onto 395, 
and into the snuggly (sometimes sticky) embrace of my baby boy.


i may be busier these days but one thing is for sure:

this little "bee" keeps me balanced.

No comments: