Tuesday, January 15, 2013

prelude to a Sunday night slumber: a reminder to take things one day at a time...

G opted to stay "one more night" which meant his alarm would sound at 3 am
so he could make his long drive to work,

and i had a "to-do" list sitting on my desk that seemed to be overflowing into my brain,
not to mention a stack of papers that needed to be looked over...
that were on my kitchen table--
still in the same place i'd left them in thursday night.

i didn't have the kids' clothes set out.

i didn't have my lunches prepared.

dishes were in the sink

and my living room looked like a post-cyclone toys-r-us disaster zone.

...

but there we found ourselves,

together.

all four of us,

under the same moon,
under the same roof,
under the same olive green fluffy down comforter.

snuggling, laughing, talking like friends at a sleepover and eventually,

sleeping.

...

after the sounds of whispering and laughing faded into the steady sounds of sleep
 i lay awake,  
finding myself fighting off the slumber that was selfishly drawing me in.

sure, our alarms would go off way too early,
we had a calendar for monday that by sight, looked impossible and 
we'd had to carve out a path back to the bedroom through the cars, trucks, dirty clothes and large, noisy baby paraphernalia.

but i lay there, eyes open, heart full, smiling up at the darkness,
skin-to-skin with the two babies that had grown in my belly and
 hand-in-hand with my man...
.
and i felt all of that other stuff that had weighed heavy on my mind as i fell into bed
release into the heavens and just
fade away... 

leaving me thankful and content
with little sleeping breaths, warm skin and love.


 Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now,
and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow.
 
God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.

Matthew 6:34 (MSG)



No comments: