Tuesday, June 14, 2011

for the "Dads" in my life...

G has wanted to be a Daddy for a long time. i remember when his parents were badgering us about "having a baby" a couple years ago and his mom remarked to me how when Gary was like, 18 he told her he loved kids so much he was "ready to be a Daddy...just not a husband." haha. guess that explains why he was ready to get pregnant like, the day after we got married (i obviously bought myself some time).

i can remember the first time i saw him interacting with his nephews. i could tell right and there that he was going to be an awesome dad.

...and i've got preeeetty high standards because i had a darn good daddy myself.


i remember how even after a long day at work my dad would still take time to play with us kids when he got home. i can say that now, after working an "adult" job--especially a taxing one that calls for working with rowdy kiddos all day that most days you want to come home, kick your feet up and enjoy a beverage. he rebounded for me in our driveway basketball court, he got on the floor and played with my brother and often kept us kids entertained while mom made dinner. and {most} fridays, when we were young he brought us home what he called a "handshake surprise," which consisted of a tight handshake filled with candy he'd picked up on his way home from work. these "handshake surprises" we're AWESOME, we thought Fridays were the best...because we got a handshake surprise :)

my dad has been a lot of things to me. coach, teacher, counselor, co-worker, "boss"...but he was always "dad" first. i can remember the first varsity game i got in my freshman year...i needed to get his attention for some reason and kind of stopped short of shouting for him because i wasn't sure if i should yell "Dad" or "coach." well, i chose what i felt--which was always "Dad."

i can talk to my Dad. if i'm in a pickle, stuck or need some valued [honest] input about something, i go to him.

all of the above and much more have made me a very blessed daughter...and a better mom.

..............................

and the same selfless, unconditional love that was (and is) given to me by my own Dad, is the same love i see given from G to Kai day in and day out.

G is a "man's man." he's rough around the edges, he works hard, he gets dirty....but he's not to manly to sing his baby boy to sleep, or cradle him in his arms and whisper to him.

when we were told that Kai had been moved into recovery from his surgery we both hurried down the hall to him. immediately upon seeing our sweet four-month old baby, all swollen, stitched up and struggling to come out of anesthesia {we} cried bawled.

he gets down on the floor and plays trucks, catch and animals and will take him just about anywhere in the backpack or jogger.

he's an adventurous, fun-loving dad who wants to give Kai life-thriving experiences--and really teach him to love nature and new things.

he's always sending me texts while his away on jobs to "send me a picture of my baby boy..."

he changes stinky diapers, gives bubble baths, reads stories and sings songs...and is forever changed and still in awe at how much our precious baby boy has changed our lives and made our little family feel so {complete}.

i'm beginning to see more and more of G's expresions in Kai, and even sometimes see Kai reflected in G. my heart skips a beat each time i feel that intricate connection between two people i love so much. it's kind of like seeing your heart beat outside of your chest...

thank you Dad, and thank you G for being who you are.
for loving me, and for making life fun, exciting, adventurous and full of love...
just like good Dad's should.





He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.
~ Clarence Budington Kelland

1 comment:

Hi, I'm BeckyJo said...

I love your family. I'm so glad I get to be a part of your lives (even though I'm far away!) And I also can't wait to see how a baby will change the dynamics of our little family! :)