Tuesday, July 5, 2011

camping with KAi...


Camping with a crawling 11 month old is not for the weak in mind, body or spirit.

You can only pack so many clothes for a weekend trip, and well, whatever I packed was most certainly NOT enough. I was only able to snap a handful of pictures because, well, Kai did NOT want to be held, let alone contained by anything (i.e. pack-n-play, swing, cage, box...). Oh no. Kai wanted to crawl through the dirt, through the fire, through the brush and down the steep rocky cliff right into the rolling rapids of frigid snow melt. Needless to say, we kept him alive. I'm thankful that I had the brilliant idea of bringing his swing, which was the only way we really got him to nap, and worked well as a last-ditch effort when he was NOT going to be held.

G and I lay atop our air mattress in our tent with Kai between us and marveled at how different this camping trip was from the last pre-Kai trip. NIGHT and DAY. Not all bad, though. I LOVED throwing Kai in his backpack for cool early morning hikes, and it was fun letting him "drive" and splash in the water. It wouldn't feel right not bringing him along, but I will say that I look forward to the day when he is a tad more independant and less unintentionally suicidal!

Alas, it was breathtakingly beautiful and refreshing to spend a few days with mother nature out in the wild, nestled warmly in our sleeping bag, party of 3.

No comments: