Friday, July 15, 2011

worry much?

worry. something that unfortunately, i'm way too good at.

i was having a moment morning preoccupied with worry earlier this week. i'd gotten Kai down for his nap and found myself kind of wandering around the house, restless, anxious and miserable.

i wound up on my bedroom floor, with the best intentions of folding the basket of laundry that Kai had toppled over, but became preocccupied with a little blue book in my enourmous stack of "bedtime reading" beneath my nightstand (because it's too tall to be on top!).

via
within minutes of turning a handful of pages, i became enveloped in peace, and felt a refreshing calm wash over my ever anxious soul.

i allowed myself to become quiet and humbled before a God who is greater than any fear, and felt the weight of my worry-filled burden lifted off of my shoulders.

why do i do this to myself? i wondered.

worry is such a waste. sure, it's human nature and really can't be avoided....but i'll tell you one thing, it can be relieved. God wants to relieve it. and i need to do a better job of letting him.

here's a few of the passages that really hit home:

We expect Jesus to come in the form of peaceful hymns or Easter Sundays or quiet retreats.We expect to find him in morning devotionals, church suppers, and meditation. We never expect to see him in a bear market, pink slip, lawsuit, foreclosure, or war. We never expect to see him in a storm.

But it is in storms that he does his finest work, for it is in storms that he has our keenest attention. We cannot go where God is not. Look over your shoulder; that's God following you. Look into the storm; that's Christ coming toward you.
(Fearless)

We need to hear that God is still in control. We need to hear that it's not over until he says so. We need to hear that life's mishaps and tragedies are not a reason to bail out. They are simply a reason to sit tight.

Corrie ten Boom used to say, "When the train goes through a tunnel and the world gets dark, do you jump out? Of course not. You sit still and trust the engineer to get you through."

Next time your disappointed, don't panic. Don't jump out. Don't give up. Just be patient and let God remind you he's still in control. It ain't over till it's over.
(He Still Moves Stones)

It's not the absence of storms that sets Christ-followers apart. It's whom we discover in the strom: an unstirred Christ.
(Fearless)

And last but not least, my very favorite....

Eternal instants.You've had them. We all have.

Sharing a porch swing on a summer evening with your grandchild.

Putting your arm into your husband's as you stroll through the golden leaves and breathe the brisk autumn air.

Listening to your six-year-old thank God for everything grom goldfish to Grandma.

Such moments are neccessary because they remind us that everything is okay. The King is still on the throne and life is still worth living. Eternal instants remind us that love is still the greatest possession and the future is nothing to fear.
(God Came Near)
.......................

so the next time i find myself wrapped up and suffocating in my own worry i'm going to make an effort to pull myself out of panic, quiet the storm and in faith, prayerfully give it to God...

and rest easy knowing that HE is in control and my pitiful worry accomplishes absolutely nothing.

Let us come boldy to the throne of our gracious God.
There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.
Hebrews 4:16 NLT

3 comments:

Hi, I'm BeckyJo said...

Thanks for sharing this. I love you. :)

Tiffany said...

Those words certainly hit home. I need that book!

Sweet Blessings said...

Great Post! I LOVE how Max Lucado writes...and how it truly makes me stop and think..and I always walk away feeling so blessed! Sweet blessings!