Monday, May 16, 2011

Uncle Mikey & Kai

two of my favorite boys.

being a big sister, believe it or not, taught me a lot about being a mommy.

mikey and i have always had a different kind of relationship.
i attest this in part to me being older when he was born AND the fact that my mom went back to school during his elementary school years and i was next in line for things like taking him to school, getting him breakfast, helping him get dressed, etc. those things were never a burden to me. i enjoyed stepping in and getting to be a sister-mom. i can remember dropping him off at elementary school (usually late)my senior year in high school and making him give me a kiss on the cheek before he got out of the car.

i often have deja vu moments when i catch myself doing something with Kai that I did with Mikey years ago. such as:
tucking him in under the "floating blanket," reading books with over-the-top animation, making him "fly" on my feet while laying on my back and belting made up-silly-random songs at the top of my lungs to make him laugh and probably scare/weird him out a little bit...

and...yeah, Mikey turned out a little like his big sister, with a wild imagination and an over-active verbal response system (which is both a blessing and a curse).

i can only hope that Kai will be lucky enough to inherit our ability to smile our way through life's storms and make a joke out of just about anything.

I'd say the odds are in his favor.

No comments: