Friday, November 6, 2015

"It's frustrating when our playroom is so SO messy that I can't find my favorite cars and trains..."

"...but then, I get my sisters to help me pick it all up since it's mostly their mess anyway and it feels so clean and nice in there and I can spot all of my favorite things again!" (Kai Quincy, 5)

It's nice to have your own space.


I think so often we overlook the importance of a "sacred space." Somewhere we have for just us. To sit and be alone. A space to breathe, to read, to imagine, to cry.

When I think back to my childhood, so many memories of my "sacred space" were outdoors. I was always finding some grassy spot outside and making it my "reading nook," or my space to escape my siblings and sometimes, my parents.

It was important to us that the kids had somewhere that was their space--not just their room, but a special play spot--with the sole purpose for their imaginations and creativity to run wild. I think this day in age, imaginary play has somewhat escaped our children--it has slipped through their fingers while they stare at screens; while they "watch" play. It's not the same. They need to construct cities out of blocks and build blanket tents and play "school" with their stuffed animals. Unstructured play is VITAL for growing little minds--and so many of us have just gotten so, well, busy. Everything is "planned" and structured and if it's not then there is the iPad or Mommy's iPhone to keep them "quiet."

I say, let them be loud. But give them a space to do it. 

And you know what? Adults need this as well.

Mommy needs a "space" that is hers--that is quiet and comfortable and that calls me to do what makes my heart come to life. I denied myself that space for so long, you guys. I gave my kids a playroom--I let their little minds be beckoned to a safe, creative space, but failed to allow myself the same. I would "set up shop" on the couch or clear off a spot on the sticky kitchen table or sometimes even my bed. But I can't think clearly in that space. I can't let the words that I read sink in when there is clutter all around me and my pile of notebooks and Bible and books and laptop are falling every which way.

I can't write my heart when I'm crowded.

And then one day I found myself rummaging around in our guest bedroom and needed some more light so I threw the curtains open and just stood and admired the view. It was like I was seeing out that window for the first time. And I thought, WHY is my desk not here? And then I thought WHY am I not using this space that is literally only utilized a couple of weekends a month when we have company?

And then, this happened:


And it's my new favorite spot in the whole house. It will have a hard time beating out my "sun room" this spring/summer, but for now, it's just what I need.

It's where I go to read my Bible, to pray, to write, to read, to think. And I need to be there at least once a day--just like my kiddos need to spend time, each day, in their "rocket ship" or "sail boat" or "teepee."

Don't deny yourself "your" space. That special place that is INTENTIONALLY constructed for you and for your "art," whatever it may be--maybe it's crafting or sewing or painting or baking. Don't let life and structure keep you from doing that which makes your soul say, "YES."

Today, Kai and I say "thank you" to the spaces that fill us. 



No comments: