Thursday, November 5, 2015

"Sometimes, when you have a hard day, it's good to eat some bubblegum ice cream. And then, you are happy!" ~Sunny Boo (3)


Let's face it. In our family, we are thankful for ice-cream. 

If I could only have one dessert for the rest of my life it would hands-down be ice-cream, and I'm happy to see that my love of the good stuff has been passed down to my children. 

Here's the thing about ice-cream though: It's certainly not as fulfilling to indulge in my favorite treat when i'm standing over the carton at my kitchen counter trying to scoop quietly so no one else hears me and wants some or makes some comment about how it's only 9:30 in the morning...(G).

It tastes the best when it's enjoyed around a table with people. When the cold, sweet, creamy, drippy waffle cone is complimented with laughter and little voices and pauses to listen to the birds or the way the breeze is whistling through the tall pines (one of my new favorite sounds!). 

I think that is the "healing" power that Sunny has experienced. 

It's not the sugar. It's not the way those candy bubblegum bites dissolve in your mouth or the beautifully intricate way those ribbons of caramel weave in and out of brownie and sweet cream. 

It's the walk, together, to that ice cream parlor. It's the sacred time spent sitting, smiling, staring at the different way we all "wear" our drippy treat. It's admiring the simplicity of a moment spent around a table with each other, pausing from our busy schedule or normal routine to just be together and take a deep breath. To slow down and savor each lick, each bite, each voice, each sticky face. 

The best medicine for a hard day is togetherness: a moment carved out of an otherwise ordinary afternoon or evening to look away from our flashing screens, away from our "to do" lists, away from the clock, and at each other. 

The ice cream is optional but most definitely recommended. 






No comments: