Tuesday, November 3, 2015

"It's scary on your first day of school; but then your new teacher gives you a hug and calls you "Super Kai." ~Kai (5)

Gratitude surfaces in the midst of fear, and often it's in the form of a quick, simple, but genuine hug or a smile.

Like on the first day of school, when you are in a whole new place in a sea of a bunch of new faces and your Mommy gives you a goodbye kiss and you are scared. And shy.

But then your teacher kneels down and looks you in the eyes with a kind smile and gently pulls you in for a tight hug just long enough to whisper in your ear "I'm SO glad YOU are in our class this year!"

At that moment, my timid son's hazel eyes looked up and met mine with a little nod signaling my permission to turn around and walk down the steps, out of sight, to the car.


I'm so thankful for those "teachers" in my life that come in the forms of moms and sisters and mentors and friends. The ones who pull me in for those hugs and kneel down to look me in the eye and ask me the hard questions and love me anyway. They are the cheerleaders who affirm and encourage and speak life with the kind of love that says "I'm SO glad you are YOU."

There are going to be days when you don't feel like gluing tissue paper squares to your stained glass apple and your "apple window" has the bare minimum effort requirement of five small squares. But that's ok. Your teacher proudly hangs it up anyway.

There are days when you feel tired and like you aren't very good at counting or coloring or, um, housework and cooking. But your cheerleaders see you and say it's ok. You are so special and so beautifully unique and are SO super good and many other things! 

I don't think we put enough stock in how some of the most simple things we do can have such a giant impact on another. I know we don't tell each other enough how much we appreciate those small gestures--like encouraging notes sent in the mail or flowers on the doorstep or offers for help with yard work or children or french braiding lessons or that one person who came and talked to you when you walked into a new place and didn't know a soul.

Or a teacher, greeting you each morning with a beaming smile and high-five for her special "Super Kai."

WE have the power to be that light--and today, Kai and I are thankful for the people in our lives that illuminate our dark spaces.








No comments: