Monday, May 18, 2015

Keeping the FAITH & not playing small

Jen Hatmaker has me dialed in.

I pretty much feel like we have coffee and chit chat every morning because her writing is so reflective and conversational and convicting and so darn relatable. And HILARIOUS. I'm quite certain that I own all of her books AND that I "like" every single one of her Facebook posts. So we're pretty much friends, right?! ;)

It makes perfect sense that her message for IF: Gathering was right on the money for me. I took, like, SEVEN pages of notes that I will NOT bombard you with by posting up in here. In all honesty, I could probably write approximately 35 posts on her message because it was so jam packed full of relevance to me. But instead, I'm just going to break it up into a few (less than five but more than two) different posts and try to keep them reader-friendly and not novel-esque like I'm naturally inclined to be so guilty of.

For this post you will find Jen's words in bold and then my own personal application and reflection--follow along and unpack how your story applies to her teaching!


...

God invited YOU to live a BIG, bold, exciting life...don't. play. small.

Oh man. I play small when I second guess myself. I play small when I say "no" to things I should say "yes" to because I feel like I'm not good enough. I play small when I feel that still small voice in my soul moving me to act and I shy away because I'm scared. I play small when I doubt. I play small when I question God. I play small when I stress about my plans or my kids or my house or bill or sickness.

A BIG, BOLD EXCITING LIFE is a life centered on Jesus. It is a life lived on purpose. It is a life of the deepest love and forgiveness. It is a life that seeks the light in every moment of every day.

...that’s why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God 
is worked into something good. 
Romans 8:28 (MSG)

The invitation stands, for you and for me.

Let's check "yes" and let God's love transform our lives!


Real faith moves OUT OF OUR HEADS and INTO OUR LIVES.

This is about ACTION. Yes, we love Jesus and we worship and pray and attend church. But does our faith permeate our day-to-day? Do we look in on our sick elderly neighbor? Do we offer to help when we see someone has their hands full? Do we take the time to sit and listen--really listen to that chatty (kind of annoying) kid at the park who is just begging for someone to validate their importance? Do we bless others with our words? Do we genuinely apologize and forgive? 

This isn't about what we KNOW. It's about what we DO. And that is convicting and encouraging to me all at once.


You don't have to have full confidence in yourself...HAVE IT IN GOD.

So, when you know that God is bringing you to something but you have NO IDEA what to do with it or how it's going to work out, this is where you throw your hands up and say,

"OK, God, here I am. WHAT NEXT?"

When you ask "what next?" you are waiting to receive from Him and ready to plant your foot. You aren't looking for a way out or an excuse to stop pursuing whatever it may be (because we all know there are always plenty of those to go around) but instead, with patience, faith and persistence you are saying "I'm here. I'll go." Your hands and eyes and ears are open and expectant.

Listen to that voice, friends.

Listen to the things you do that make your soul come alive.

Ask God to use your gifts and talents for His glory and wait in faith and anticipation for doors to open!

It's ok to be scared. 

Reach {up} & His grace will meet you. 


My grace is enough; it’s all you need.

My strength comes into its own in your weakness. 

2 Corinthians 12:9 (MSG)


More review from Jen's message tomorrow...and the day after that... :)

Love,





No comments: