Sunday, March 27, 2011

Putting our eggs in God's basket...

Faith is putting all of your eggs in God's basket, then
counting your blessings
before they hatch.

 ~ Ramona C. Carroll


I don't believe that I have ever welcomed spring as readily as this year.

The past year has been one long carnival ride full of ups and downs and twists and turns of joy, heart break, laughter, frustration and tears (more happy than sad, but definitely more than normal...)

It was a long winter for us. Kai had his big surgery, I made the decision to not return to work only to find that as fate would have it, neither would G. We scraped by off of what was left of our savings after Kai's medical costs and Gary's unemployment checks. Definitely not the ideal living situation and

DEFINITELY a test of faith.

But the days have grown longer, the grass green, and the skeletal tree limbs now glisten with the promise of life.

Spring has arrived.

And with the anticipation of warmer weather, sunnier days and blooming flowerbeds comes hope.

It is a new season:

Gary has returned to work, and to my {delight} he has jobs lined up locally (well, in the Northwest which is pretty dang local compared to what he's been doing!).

I've found part-time work through the end of the year in order to help compensate for some of the debt we've accrued throughout our stint of unemployment...and I have a promising offer in the works for full-time employment next fall :)

Kai's lip/nose have healed in textbook fashion. There have been no complications or surprises, and we are in the clear for additional operations until his extensive dental exam next fall...

.......................................................

Having to live paycheck-to-paycheck and not knowing if we would be able to make our mortgage payment has really done more good than harm. We have a whole new outlook on our finances and money management. We have been really spoiled up until this point (spoiled enough for me to just "opt" out of work and not think twice about it). We have always made large frivilous purchases and taken vacations and never really batted an eye.

Oh my, how things have changed.

We have become practical, coupon-clipping, (for lack of a better word) cheap asses. But ya know what? It suits us. I feel better about our spending habits, and we are most definitely on a more reliable road to becoming debt-free. 

There are, however, a handful of  things indulgences that I've gone without over the last four months that we I am quite excited about partaking in once we build up a little bit of cushion.

Like:

Getting my hair done!!!!!!!!!!!!! (it's been since NO-freakin-VEMBER)
so. not. okay.
thank GOODNESS I'm not the blonde that I once was. that would be extrememly hideous.

A much needed pedicure. I've been good and exercised great self-control in this area, turning down numerous offers to accompany friends and family...I'm definitely due for one.

A little vacation. Nothing big, just a weekend out of town.
I'm thinking Seattle for the weekend of our anniversary (4/14).
*Just the thought of it makes me smile*

Maybe, just maybe a few new clothing items.
I can justify because Seattle boasts some of my favorite second-hand stores and some great sale-racks, AND I kid you not I have not purchased a clothing item of any kind (non-maternity) since I was pregnant. Thats right, no new clothes for 17 months. I've saved us a fortune right there! I'm not gonna go crazy, but I do need a few items...mostly because i'm not all the way back down to my pre-preg size (sigh) and really don't have anything that fits me right at the moment...so it'll be a bittersweet shopping trip, but at any rate, it'll feel nice to slip into something new that fits right! 

Wine. and NOT the $4 Lucky Duck from Walmart.

.......................................................


However, becoming more frugal and disciplined with spending was not the biggest lesson we learned this winter.

The most important, vital lesson we have come out of this trying season with has been learning to do just as the quote says,

leave our eggs in God's basket and count our blessings...while WITH FAITH, we wait.
and trust.
and pray, and pray and pray....

and in the midst of the "unknown," continue to smile, laugh and love.

source


No comments: