Thursday, February 10, 2011

{love}28: a penny worth more than a diamond...

In "Chicken Soup for the Romantic Soul" there is a story about a "Mrs. B. Bartlett,"  who reminisces about the long walks along the railroad tracks that she and her husband used to take when they were young and struggling to make ends meet. In those days they couldn't afford a diamond ring--they could barely afford food and clothing for their children.

One day, while holding hands on their walk, they heard a locomotive approaching from a distance. Her husband dashed up to the railroad tracks and placed a penny on them. That night, he drilled a little hole in the shiny flattened penny and attached it to a charm bracelet, saying, "This is so you'll always remember our walks together."

Her husband died some years ago, but Mrs. Bartlett wrote that she still has that copper penny, and it means more to her than gold or diamonds. "All I have to do is hold my penny in my arthritic hands and I have him and that day all over again."

Sometimes a penny means more than a diamond.

Often times the most sentimental gifts we treasure are gifts that cost absolutely nothing.

They are love notes, pictures, cards, trinkets, letters...

just explore your Grandmother's attic, or the top of your Mother or Father's dresser...

where you may very well find old notes, drawings, cards and crafts from all throughout your childhood.

I have an old cigar box full of ticket stubs, leaves, dried flowers (NOT the store-bought kind), notes, polaroid pictures,seashells, rocks, random coasters and scribled-on bar napkins...

the random jumbled contents of that box mean more to me than my diamond wedding ring, my new laptop, my digital camera and my ipod (all gifts that i've received from G in the past...)

the contents of that old wooden cigar box, would be to most, clutter or junk.

but as I hold each treasured item in my hand, I close my eyes and go back to that place. I feel that feeling, I smile that smile....

and re-live the love I felt in that special moment.

so the next time you are tempted to choose an expensive store bought gift over a humble hand-made item or sentimental offering, think again...

odds are, it'll mean more than you anticipate.

source

No comments: