Sunday, January 23, 2011

Love{10}: Received advice on becoming a "wife."

I've never been much of a pack-rat.

I don't save much, as I consider myself a minimalist and HATE clutter. There is, however, one thing I DO hold on to and it's cards.

I LOVE hand written cards!

I've saved all of them....since HIGH SCHOOL. OK, I shouldn't say all of them, but all of the one's with meaningful messages inside of them.

I have a big plastic card tub and it's separated into two compartments. On one side are people's messages/letters/notes that I want to keep and the other side is the decorative/picture/quotes from the cards that I use to scrapbook and make my own cards.

Lately I've been attempting to make some kind of order of our guest bedroom, but most of my efforts fall short, as I end up finding something (on purpose, of course) to distract me from the actual act of organization.

And the other day it was the big plastic card tub.

I really do enjoy pouring over my old favorite cards. It's encouraging, heartwarming, tear-jerking and really, a big blessing. As I was {tearfully}devouring treasured hand-written birthday, graduation, wedding and baby shower messages I stumbled upon a stack of postcards rubber-banded together.

As I rolled the rubber-band off the dusty cards and spread them across the carpet, I remembered that they were from my wedding shower that my Mom and her best friends threw for me (back in April of 2007). They asked all of the ladies who attended to write some small piece of "marriage advice" for me on the cards (If you host a wedding shower any time soon, I highly reccomend this activity as a small gift to the new bride...)

What a treasure these are........



And it is now my pleasure to share with you just a {few} of my favorite pieces of advice:


"I discovered early on that men like to be right, so a good way to stop any argument is to say to him, 'you could be right....' It's worked for me for 61 years."


"Laugh together often and forgive, forgive, forgive."

 
"Speak life to each other!
Respect your husband and love him unconditionally.
Laugh alot and take time for each other always!"


1) Do things with your husband that HE likes to do, even if they aren't your favorite.

2) Pray, Pray, Pray--and not just for God to change Gary, but to change YOU!

3) Tell him often how much you love him and thank him for being a great provider!


"When life gets too busy, vacuum just before Gary gets home from work and it will look like you've been cleaning all day!"


"The most precious possesion that comes to a man in this world is a women's heart."


1. Put God first in your lives, He knows you best!
2. Make large decisions together.
3. Treat each other with RESPECT!


"Find Gary's Love Language and express love that he understands!"


"My best advice after 17 years of marriage is to try to
think like a man
for the sake of seeing his point of view. As much as you don't want to, it WILL bring peace to your relationship!"

 
"Speak words of life...build each other up...encourage, give praise and be thankful."


"Feed your husband before any major discussion."

 
"Choose your battles...don't let every little pet peeve get to you!"


"Love is a choice and each day with Jesus at the center your marriage will only grow stronger!"


"As you allow God to be in control of your life,
things will go smoothly and your happiness will only grow."
Ephesians 4:25-32 and Ephesians 5:22-33


"Take time to just enjoy each other and reflect
on all the reasons you love each other."


"Marriage is wonderful but it is also work.
Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it!


"To make love last, put each other first.
Love, laugh and live for each other every day."


Perhaps a few of you who read this blog will recognize your specific advice to me...?!

I THANK you for it!

It is so encouraging and uplifting to get meaningful advice from such strong, inspiring women.

Reading through my cards (and wedding shower "advice" bookmarks) just reiterates how meaningful a heart-felt, honest message can be. As is evident here--putting a little extra effort into a wedding shower activity can bless and inspire the receiver for many years!


What a lot we lost when we stopped writing letters. 
You can't reread a phone call. 
 ~Liz Carpenter

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to say Whitney, I think that this is by far my favorite! I wish that someone would have done that for me for my wedding shower! I love every single word of advice that you put on here! It is so meaningful and after the short marriage I have had so far, those helped me out! Thank you!

Whitney said...

Thank you Amber, I'm so glad you liked it! I love what people had to share...both wise and hilarious!

Katie said...

I had to nod in agreement to most of those quotes, and if I didn't nod, it was because I was thinking, "hey thats a great idea!" I may come back and read this again later!

Also, I remember in high school, letter writing was a passion of mine. I feel sad a little, that I don't write too many of them anymore...Though, I will admit that my stationary cubby is quite full. I LOVE STATIONARY!!! People have often said that the way I write is the way I speak, and they can hear me when they read my words. I love writing more than I love stationary...I may just return to it in 2011.

Sweet Blessings said...

:) Wow! So, smiling that you kept all those wisdom cards :) May they always remind you of that beginning...and strengthen all that you are growing! Sweet blessings!