Saturday, January 8, 2011

{Savory} Saturday Mornings

There is something sacred about Saturday mornings that makes them magically unlike any other morning of the week.

On a Saturday morning one can just lie in bed, basking in the sunlight pouring in from the frosted window pane that spills across the blankets already warm from a nights slumber...

On a Saturday morning dreams and throughts become intertwined as slumber and dreaming dance with wakefulness...

Saturday mornings are meant to be savored.

Savored with good friends over strong coffee, mimosas, bloody marys and brunch...peppered with groggy conversation about the night before...that perhaps has yet to end...

...savored by waking slow with someone you love. No alarms, cell phones or commute. Just warm skin and sunshine.

...savored by a sunny walk through the neighborhood, smelling hints of bacon and coffee on the cool breeze and soaking up the stillness of a neighborhood about to wake up.

...savored under a blanket on the couch in front of cartoons, sneaking marshmallows out of little bowls of lucky charms.

...savored in a thick knit cardigan on the sun-filled patio of a busy downtown cafe with a hot cup of tea, the morning paper and tiny sparrows that stop to peck the crumbs from beneath your table.

I savored my Saturday morning with a break from my traditional everyday breakfast of fruit and oatmeal. Growing up, I typically woke up to the smell of hot breakfast on Saturday mornings (thanks, Dad!) so even though Gary doesn't really enjoy hot breakfast...like, ever (unless he hasn't been to bed from the night before!) I like to indulge myself with hot breakfast on Saturday mornings. Especially now that I'm up to enjoy the sunrise on {most} Saturday morns.
So this morning, since I had some stale/dry bread I needed to use, I made French Toast. And, I'm happy to report that it's the BEST.FRENCH.TOAST. I've ever tasted. (not to toot my own horn or anything!). I don't like thick and soggy French Toast, and this was {just} right! The batter called for a {surprise} ingredient (Honey!) and the toast is baked after it's toasted on the stove...I think that's the trick to perfection!

I got my recipe here but added vanilla and cinnamon to the batter (french toast is NOT french toast without the cinnamon and vanilla!)




However you spend your Saturday, I hope you take time to {stop} and savor the beauty of the day!

1 comment:

Sweet Blessings said...

Hey, thank for the link to making your "best french toast ever" :) We LOVE french toast on Saturdays at our house...and savoring the morning! Hope your day was filled with Sweet blessings all the way around!