Saturday, January 1, 2011

Welcome, 2011

 22 Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed,
   for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
   great is your faithfulness.

Lamentations 3:22-23 (New International Version, 2010)

A new year. A fresh start. A blank slate. Another chance.

I spent my new year in a “new way.”

I swapped heels and cocktails for sweatpants and a healthy glass of cab.

And as I lay tangled in fleece blanket and the arms of my loves I relished the “newness” of the moment.

It was like there, in my very living room, we were concluding a chapter that we had spent the last 365 days composing, and in doing so we were turning to the next page….

A new chapter.

A fresh, crisp, blank page…waiting for a new story.

We barely made it until midnight.

But we did, and I got my New Years kiss under the glare of fireworks that lit up the sky outside our window.

And then fell into bed with a heart heavy with love for a great God who shoulders all of my worries, and washes away the pain and sorrow of a tough{day} or a hard {year} with His promise of a fresh start and mercies anew with every sunrise.

I spent today with a handful of some of the people I love the most (and yes, I am blessed to say that they are my in-laws!)

We opened gifts, we watched football, we walked on the bike path along the river, we napped, we ate (and ate some more!), we played the hilarious game "Things" and enjoyed being {family}.

It was a full house. Kids, babies, dogs...it was happy, busy, and

VERY loud.

But that afternoon as I laid down alongside my sleeping baby boy, in the cool stillness of a dark back room, all I heard

and {felt}

was love.

Thank you, Jesus for {faithful} friends and family, laughter, hugs, good, honest conversation, a table full of food and the sweet, soft breath of a warm sleeping baby on my shoulder…

for a love that never fails…

And a brand new day.

Welcome, 2011.

No comments: