Thursday, January 13, 2011

“My whole life, I've wanted to feel comfortable in my skin. It's the most liberating thing in the world.” -Drew Barrymore

As I stated in my very first post--one of my resolutions this year is to take {better} care of my skin.


One of my many motivations for keeping up this blog is to also keep myself accountable for those few lofty goals I set for myself upon creating this thing.

I have a gazillion "goals."And taking better care of my skin is one of them.

I don't have bad skin. But I COULD have better skin, and have never really put any effort into "skincare," and well, that needs to change.

While I was picking up around the house today, I had the Rachael Ray show on and was listening to it as I was walking in and out of the room. I caught something about "winter skincare" and stopped to catch the remainder of the segment. Good stuff. You can watch it here, but here's a breakdown for ya:

1. Shower smart. Take a SHORT shower (5-10 minutes), and not a HOT shower, but a WARM shower as the hot water is really drying on the skin. I didn't like this one. I love a nice long HOT shower (sigh) but am willing turn the water down and hurry it up for the sake of better skin.

2. Wash strategically. Don't shower every day! (Easy for me--i'm not dirty or anything, but I certainly go a day in-between showers). Also, don't use overly fragrant bar soaps--instead opt for a body wash, which will  not leave your skin zapped of it's essential oils. I needed to hear that last part--I am a diehard Dove Body Bar user and some of the scents pack a pretty overwhelming punch, not to mention leave me feelin' pretty dry post-shower. Looks like I need to find a good body wash.

3. Don't skip the moisturizer. I loved this one. You basically have THREE minutes to get lotion on your skin after your shower for it to effectively seal water in. Start the clock!!! I use lotion after each bath and shower, but I'm not sure if I get lathered up in those first three minutes. Dr. Chapas also advises that you look for not neccesarily an expensive lotion, but one with lanolin, mineral oil, lactic acids and shea butter because those are the most effective moisturizers.

4. Don't let your environment get too dry! Use a humidifier! If you don't have a humidiier, you can actually put a jar of water near your heater or put a wet towel around the door knob to create some additional moisture in the air.


Also, my skin-care savvy sister-in-law Sarah advised me to start putting a teaspoon of baking soda into my facewash 2-3 times a week. And like a good little grasshopper, I've followed my skincare mentor and MAN, my skin feels extra soft and sparkely clean!! Baking soda! Who knew?! Check out all of the other uses for this common kitchen staple...(hopefully my next skincare blog will detail my first {spa} facial experience!!!)

Sarah also gave me Cindy Crawford's Meaningful Beauty mask that I have yet to use but will soon tonight! I typically wouldn't spend money on something like mask, so when that precious tube runs out, I'm going to start using diaper cream.
YES, I said diaper cream. I saw it on The Doctors and then googled it (did I not trust the DOCTORS?!) and found this blog entry, which is pretty dang convincing (a good blog to follow, btw)!



So aside from revising my shower and post-shower routine, sprinkling baking soda in my handful of facewash a few times a week, starting a bi-weekly mask ritual (Cindy Crawford's AND diaper cream) I have also sworn off the tanning bed. This was an easy sacrifice for me (a self-proclaimed tanner since 16) as I did not tan during my pregnancy. I mean, I got some sun this summer, but not from artificial bulbs. No more tanning bed for me. If I need additional color I'm spray tannin' it up. It doesn't last very long, but I get a nice island glow for 3-5 days. Instant gratification at it's best.


Alas, I know that all of the diaper cream and baking soda in the world will not compensate for the effects of a healthy diet (I DEFINITELY need to drink more water!!), daily exercise and a good night's sleep will have on my skin, so I will for sure not overlook the obvious (pray for me re: the sleeping bit...I'm gonna stock up on POTATOES!).

If YOU have any additional skincare tips, please share! I'd love to hear em'...

1 comment:

Katie said...

It's great that you are starting now, because you don't want to find out too late that you should have been taking care of your skin. When you are older, you will still be looking younger! Way to go girl!